Le mie avventure in Svizzera

Originally created as a way to document my study abroad experience in Switzerland, now it's my personal soapbox. So I welcome you to the craziness that is my mind.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pondering sexual frustration over a cup (or 3) of tea

So here I am, back in Eugene, on my bed with my cat Huey with a gorgeous view of Fern Ridge reservoir and trying to plan my summer. I have to take a few classes, reorganize my room, and hopefully gain some insight into what I want to study in graduate school. I composed a list of goals for myself for the summer, including creating a better fitness routine, practicing the languages, and spending plenty of quality time with my family and friends here. I also included, though, finding a date for Rachel's wedding.

Coming home has reminded me yet again that one of my best friends from middle and high school is indeed getting married in a few short months, as I know I need to try on my bridesmaid dress and buy the devilishly fun wedding gift I have in mind for her. It's a glaring reminder that we are indeed all growing up whether we're ready for it or not, and I haven't entirely digested that fact yet. As much as I am happy for her, it's still a little weird to think about my newly 21-year-old friend taking the giant leap into adulthood that is getting married in September.

And besides Rachel and her now fiance, my other close friends here in Oregon also have significant others, leaving me to be "the single one". The one always stuck at home with her cats while all my friends are spending time with their boyfriends or girlfriends. Not that I don't enjoy hanging out with the cats, because I love them all dearly, but sometime both parties want to do other things. It can be frustrating while trying to make plans for a weekend when everyone else already has plans with that special someone.

And my sexual frustration doesn't help the matter. I listen to my friends describe their romantic escapades and, while I generally enjoy said discussions, they remind me of that which I still don't have. I have yet to find that one guy who truly captures my interest, even as I keep the Object of My Worldly Lust in the back of my mind. I want someone who can turn me on in every conceivable way- intellectually, spiritually, and, yes, physically. I want someone eager to make his life mean something to the world, someone with a burning desire to leave this world a better place than when he arrived. Someone who can challenge me to become a more compassionate, more proactive, more well-rounded person and with a mind open enough to allow me to do the same to him.

Thus I've decided that I want a date for Rachel's wedding in September. Now I just need to meet some new people. But I don't just want to hang out in places with the sole goal of collecting phone numbers. No singles bars for me, thank you very much. I need a project, a way to improve this society, in which I work with other people. People with similar goals and interests, where I could meet someone truly exciting. Someone, though, who can also realize that sometimes it's fun to just watch the sunset with your cat and drink tea. Which I shall enjoy right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Well ... as long as you don't turn into the crazy cat lady. :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger kude said...

I love the new title. And if they make 2 of your ideal man, sign me up!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home